Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Lord of the Flies

Social distancing for an old curmudgeon like me is not too difficult. Funny how the rush of opening day, with all the anticipated notions of catching cloned hatchery trout, thins out once the fish become wary of all the hooks cast their way. In the clear thin water they sit smugly moving only to allow some garish presentation hurtle through their collective masses. They have won for now, focusing on what real food is and what isn't. A passing angler remarks ( at a distance of course), "I haven't seen any fish". Of course you haven't you scattered them in all your plodding! any how, striper season is now open, they left searching for some new dumb fish to catch.

Art likes the quiet and can concentrate on the waters, lost in my thought I ponder the caddis "are they really tan? No they are slightly darker and the green of the abdomen is not as garish as the pack of dubbing. Far more muted in reality. The BWO coming off, small but the wings are longer than mine in my box. Take note make the wings longer and use darker CDC. Instead of blindly casting away, I now selectively cast to fish I mark. Taking my time working on presentation, slow, slow, slow, mend , mend, mend now lift the rod tip..... FISH ON!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment