Saturday, April 5, 2014

My New Rod

I bought a kit rod a couple of winters ago, figure I would give rod building a try. The package arrived and I opened it up staring at the various components, guides, cork handle I promptly put it aside for a more convenient  time. The next year came and went a myriad of health issues, work issues came up and again I shelved the project.
That rod laid quietly and patiently for me, winter again came and went and with the spring amongst all the talk of clear wraps, ferrule this and that my brain suddenly remembered the poor rod that I've been neglecting. So pulling it out of the cardboard tube, I took a long  hard look and assembled the components. Making sure the guides lined up ( as best a guy with an astigmatism can), carefully glueing up the handle, reel set and wrapping the guides (and yes rewrapping again and again) a beautiful rod emerged. Next it was the flex coat, two coats and not bad for the first time, I gazed at the beautiful rod and thought what's so hard about that!
Today I took the first cast, smooth as silk nice and light.  I'm going to let my wife use this one, she'll enjoy the light feel and touch. Will I build another maybe or maybe not?

No comments:

Post a Comment